Friday, March 11, 2011

Short, Fat, and Flat

Well here I am. A random update. I mean this was bound to happen. Our first obstacle/challenge with Jude. I thought we had more time, but he is a crazy texter. He thinks he needs to chat with Eli all day long! How will we ever break him of this! I shouldn't have given him the phone at 6 weeks. I knew it was too early.



No, but really. So here goes. At 4 weeks of age, I noticed Jude getting a flat spot on the back of his head. So at the one month appt, I told the ped who recommended physical therapy for his neck. At that time, he did have a tight neck and we think that's why the flat spot formed. He preferred the left side. So off we went to physical therapy, once. All she did was tell me what I already read and was doing. Regardless, I tried the exercises and did them whenever I remembered. Needless to say, that resolved itself. So at the 2 month appointment, I retold the ped, "I still think it's flat." So he said well watch it and revisit it at 4 months. Well, as you know, he just had the 4 month appointment. We both agreed that although it is no better, but no worse than at 2 months. He did his official look over of Jude's head and said Jude may be a candidate for a helmet. YIKES. What does any mother do?! Freak out! Essentially, he was telling me my kid isn't perfect! I thought he would just say "Yea, that's okay how it looks...." I was shocked and worried when he said that.

After freaking out, I came home and researched "flat heads" or plagiocephaly. This occurs when a baby's head develops a flat spot or becomes asymmetrical due to some kind of external pressure. Right, this is not from birth, that abnormal shape should return to normal after the baby is 6 weeks. (Disclaimer: This does not affect brain development at all.) This is an issue because it may cause prominent foreheads, misaligned ears, and uneven facial features. None of these I notice in Jude. . . yet. Research says that since babies sleep on their back every night, this may cause the misshaped flat spot. Or, this could have been developed in the womb because of constriction. This is common with multiples actually. And common with too much or little amniotic fluid. Interesting, this flat head is associated with torticollis. Torticollis is what I mentioned earlier: a tight or shortened muscle on one side of the neck. Jude had the tight neck on his right side (but he is fine now and has been for some time).

So what are our options? Research does say that in even serious-looking flat areas, it will round out on its own as a baby starts crawling and sitting up. Or, a baby, Jude, can go to a children's plastic surgeon, be evaluated, and possibly get a helmet to reshape the flatness.

If we choose the plastic surgeon route. . . We first will need to get an X-ray. We meet with a nurse and surgeon where they will do measurements to determine if Jude is a candidate for a helmet. This is a custom-molded helmet. If he qualifies, they can do the mold then and there. I have made this appointment already. March 30 we will be meeting at Saint John's with the nurse and group of surgeons to have Jude evaluated. As of right now, we are not 100% decided on what to do, but am very interested to hear from the surgeons on what they think/recommend.

What does cranial orthotic therapy involve? A special custom-fitted helmet that will be worn for 23 hours a day to correct the shape of his skull. This treatment generally lasts from 2-6 months, depending on how early you start and how severe the flatness is. Most therapy is best done before the age of 6 months. Jude will be close to 5 months by March 30. Many say that the headgear does little help after 10 months of age. The downfall of this. Most insurance companies do NOT cover this because it is considered "cosmetic." Who knew the shape of your child's head is cosmetic. But, we can appeal and hope to receive payment in the end (unlikely, but worth a try.) This will most likely cost around $1500. The success rate for the helmet are very high!

I have talked with people who did both: the helmet and let the head reshape itself. The lady who did the helmet only had positive remarks! Why not fix something that can be fixed? It is pain free, can be cute, and will help make the head rounded! They are easy to wear also. You simply take the helmet off for bath time and make sure to clean it nightly. Easy. She said if she needed to do it again, she would. Another lady I talked with decided to not do the helmet. She said her son's head reshaped itself and he is a rounded, happy 2 year old now. So what I've read is that people who do the helmet are pleased. People who do are generally okay with the shape of their child's head but some (little) said it did not reshape.

Well these pictures don't really show his head that great. But here ya go!






Alright, well on a brighter note, my baby loves to read! He's so smart already!

Also, Jude is almost completely bald now. It's so cute. Actually, it's awful. He has chunks of hair in random spots. I know it's not cute but so funny that of course I love it. Haha. Maybe I should put more hats on my boy. Maybe it'll round out his head too. :) Other than that, he is so happy, giggling, and perfect as ever. We <3 cheeks! (I know why people have 4 kids now...). ((Not saying we will...)) (((I think we'll limit it to 5 or 6...))) ((((Did I fool ya?...))))

Your Favorite Family of Four (Five this week)
J, K, Jude, Uma and Fran!

Here are the girls in the group!

No comments:

Post a Comment